Sunday, January 20, 2008

Thought of the Day

Sean and I went to a funeral yesterday for the mother of one of Sean's closest friends. It was a very nice service. Chad's mom was a single mom and he is the only child. His mom battled cancer for 11 years. In fact, she found out she had cancer 5 days after Chad went into the MTC. Throughout Chad's life she worked 2-3 jobs to provide for him. During the service they talked about some of her journal entries from the past year and the amount of pain she was in. I was astonished to learn of the extremities of pain she dealt with on a daily basis. I visited with Martine several times and never knew how much pain she was in. No one did. That's what is so amazing about her. Whenever I saw her, all she wanted to talk about was Carter and how we were doing. On the way into the chapel there was a display of some of her things. One thing that stood out to me was a plaque that said, "Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass, but learning how to dance in the rain." I think Martine truly lived by this statement and after listening to the service yesterday, I was touched by the example she was to all around her. She had a pretty tough life but she dealt with it and moved on. I think she passed this quality onto Chad. At the end of the service he said a few words. He said he has been feeling a little guilty because people have been asking him how he is doing and he is doing ok. He said is doing ok because he knows without a shadow of a doubt that he will see his mom again. I hope I can learn to "dance in the rain" like Martine and Chad throughout the storms of life. 

5 comments:

russandkatie said...

I love it, thanks for this post guys!

Nana said...

Thanks for sharing that little bit of the service.

Anonymous said...

Definitely some good thoughts to remember. Thanks.

Spencer and Marlee said...

That was a good story to share. Thanks!

Steph and Keith said...

Thanks for the thoughts Jess. I've been trying to think of a title for a talk in our ward. The quote is perfect.